Policies & Handbook
Listed below are resources that you will find helpful. Please contact your campus principal if you have specific concerns.
District and Campus Improvement Plans
Random Drug Testing
Who do I call when I have a problem at school?
Commerce ISD Chain of Command
Commerce ISD values open and direct communication with parents. Parents are encouraged to address their questions or concerns to the person or office most directly involved in the matter's resolution. When subsequent conversation is required, the customary "chain of command" should be followed (e.g. teacher to principal to appropriate central office administrator to Board of Trustees). Those involved in addressing matters that are raised are committed to responding in an appropriate and timely manner. Although there may be specific matters which would be addressed in a manner other than is prescribed below, parental and community inquiries should generally be directed as follows:
- A child's teacher should be the initial point of contact when parents/guardians have a question or concern about specific issues such as student progress, grade level or subject area curriculum, classroom practices or expectations, the instructional program, student assessment, student discipline or other matters related to classroom activities or organization.
- The school principal would be the appropriate person to contact initially when a question or concern exists relative to school rules or regulations, student placement practices, student registration, parent participation and involvement, student records, special programs and related student services, building goals, other matters related to school-wide activities or organization or any building-specific issues.
- A child's coach should be the initial point of contact when parents/guardians have a question or concern about specific issues such as participation, team rules, schedule conflicts or other matters related directly to the sport or team. If parents have athletic questions or concerns that cannot be answered by a coach, the campus Athletic Coordinator would be the next point of contact, followed by the campus principal and the Athletic Director John McSheffery (903 886-3756).
- The Transportation Department (Denny Yoakum, Director of Operations, 903-886-3778) should be contacted for questions about District transportation services.
- The Child Nutrition Office (Brenda Haney, Chartwells Dining Services Director, 903-468-8007) should be contacted for any questions related to our school lunch program, catering or other food service matters.
- CISD Police Chief (Justin Westbrook, 903 886-3756 ext 1945) should be contacted to report any criminal activity on Commerce ISD premises.
- Health Services (Kathy Myers 903 886-3757) should be contacted for health related issues.
- The Office of Special Education (Mike Pope, ) will answer all questions related to special education services.
- The Office of the Director of Finance (John Walker, 903-886-3751) should be the initial point of contact with questions related to District finances, purchasing practices or other matters related to budget, finance or general operations.
- The Director of Personnel (Steve Drummond, 903-886-3755) should be contacted for questions related to personnel matters and employment opportunities.
- The Director of Communications (Ludonna Smithers, 903-886-3755) should be contacted for media and press information or general information about the school district.
- The Federal Programs Coordinator (Dr. Mary Hendrix, 903-886-3755) should be contacted for questions pertaining to all Federal Programs.
- The Technology Director (Al Shipp, 903 886-3755) can respond to questions or inquiries related to the District's technology program.
- Assistant Superintendent (Dr. Patricia Tremmel, 903 886-3755) can respond to questions about curriculum and instruction that cannot be resolved at the campus level. Serves as 504 Coordinator and functions as the chief administrative officer in the superintendent’s absence.
- The Office of the Superintendent (Charlie Alderman, Superintendent, 903-886-3755) should be contacted initially when questions or concerns exist relative to District policies or procedures and their application, general District questions or concerns, Board of Trustee meetings and agendas, or other matters related to District operations which are not identified within the general role descriptions delineated above.